Monday, March 15, 2010

REVIEW: GOLDFRAPP - HEAD FIRST

OH MY GOD!!!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!! I got my grubby little hands on a copy of the brand spankin' new Goldfrapp (aka the best band ever) cd Head First. I don't think it's a secret if you have read my blog that I am majorly obsessed with Goldfrapp. They are the best thing that ever happened to me. (except my boyfriend of course. don't tell him I said that) Their last album, Seventh Tree, is one of my favorite albums of all time and my #1 album of 2008 for sure, so the anticipation for this record coupled with the shameful tease of the fantastic first single Rocket has had me so excited I had to wear baggy pants all the time. Well, embarrassing erections no more, because Head First is HERE!!!! So worth the wait. This album is a disco-Xanadu-synth party that brings the 70s and 80s rushing into 2010 and beyond. The already mentioned and currently-obsessed-with Rocket has the trademark Goldfrapp happy-music, dark-message thing going on. Believer has an infectious "oh oh" chorus that will stay in your head while Alive brings back the sparkly Xanadu, ELO trills to amazy effect. Dreaming is a bubbling Giorgio Moroder/Donna Summer sexy number with a dark twinge and the title track is worthy of the ABBA Gold playlist. It's crisp piano and vocals make for a lovely ballad in the middle of the album. The surreal and dreamy, soft and breathy, Hunt is the closest to their Seventh Tree album while adding the glitz of their record Super Nature. Shiny and Warm sexes it up with a raspy growl and pulsing beat, while I Wanna Life plays it back up to the bright, glittery pop side of things. The final track, Voicething, is just that. A symphony of tweets and pulses combined with sounds made by Alison's exquisite voicebox and harmonies, chants, hoots and breathing. Reminds me of some of the experimental tracks on the first three Eurythmics albums from the early 80s. This album is pure joy from track to track. Absolute pop-art in it's highest form. Goldfrapp has once again produced something unique, beautiful and full of meaning. Every songs lyrics are thoughtful, meaningful and intelligent. The album officially comes out March 23, but you can pre-order now on iTunes. Another A+++++

No comments:

Post a Comment