Thursday, December 31, 2009
I loved this part of SATC: The Movie. The song, of course, goes back waaaaay before that, but I just thought it would be fun to celebrate with the ladies. It's snowing in the movie, it's snowing today. OMG!! I am Carrie.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Funny lady and former 80s pop singer Tracey Ullman turns the big 5-0 today!! Tracey has been making us laugh for decades now and she shows no signs of stopping. Here first hit show in the US, The Tracey Ullman Show, was responsible for spinning off The Simpsons. Here is her big US hit from the 80s They Don't Know. Love the song, love Tracey, love you all!!
Kate Winslet is not only one of the best actresses of her, or any, time, but she is also greatly admired in the body department. Kate has long been the prototype for a healthy, curvy, sexy body in Hollywood (aka, way thinner than normal women), and a recent UK poll by diet company Slimming World, puts her at the top of bodies women would most like to have, beating out even Halle Berry, Cheryl Cole and Beyonce. Victoria Beckham only received one percent of the vote. What a bunch of liars!!! ha. I would have to add Jessica Biel to that list cuz' girlfriend's got a rockin' ass!! [source]
You saw my pick for Top 10 albums of the year, now feast your eyeballs on my top 15 singles. Suck it!!!! (click on links for videos)
15. Don't Stop Believin' - Glee Cast. From the opening a capella "bops" to the vocal rush of the chorus, the Glee Cast struck gold on their first dig with this song. The perfect fit for the show and for the voices, Don't Stop Believin' came back in a huge way and cemented Glee as a hit show and hit making machine.
15. Don't Stop Believin' - Glee Cast. From the opening a capella "bops" to the vocal rush of the chorus, the Glee Cast struck gold on their first dig with this song. The perfect fit for the show and for the voices, Don't Stop Believin' came back in a huge way and cemented Glee as a hit show and hit making machine.
14. Williams' Blood - Grace Jones. Grace came back and laid a sexy, moody monster on us. With the help of Wendy & Lisa, Grace wove the story of her family tree and why she was "born wicked". It was nice to hear her on the prowl again.
13. When Love Takes Over - David Guetta ft. Kelly Rowland. C'mon. This song is soops fantasgreat! The beat is sick, the vocals are amazing and you cannot keep in your seat when it comes on. One of the best club tracks of the year.
12. If U Seek Amy - Britney Spears. Oh, Britney. You dirty girl. The shocking wordplay is now known to everyone, but Brit's single from Circus, If U Seek Amy, is also a rollicking good beat and funny lyrics that is just about as catchy as any song this year. It was a standout track for me, so I am giving it some love at the end of the year.
11. The Fear - Lily Allen. Firing back at the press and at society's materialism, Lily puts us all on blast in The Fear. Disguised in a dream-like melody, Lily doesn't hold back about wanting "f*ckloads of diamonds" and in the process took The Fear all the way to #1 in the UK.
10. Waking Up In Vegas - Katy Perry. Katy has been riding high since the release of her debut album, One of the Boys. The fourth and final single, Walking Up in Vegas kicked it into high gear and rocked out. The video was amazy (as were Katy's hooters in it) and the song became Katy's third Top 10 single.
9. 3 Words - Cheryl Cole. Cheryl Cole's excellent album, 3 Words, has many good tracks, but this track with will.I.am is sexy, dark and pulsing. Cole is supposedly set to cross the pond and release in the US. It will be interesting to see how she does. If this single is released, it should be huge!
8. Bad Boys - Alexandra Burke. Teaming up with Flo Rida, Alexandra Burke delivers a blazing performance from a new artist we are sure to hear from in the future. Her voice is sick and this song has sass-out-the-ass. Very hot. Very H-O-T.
7. Paparazzi - Lady Gaga. As much social commentary as pop brilliance, Gaga took on our obsession with celebrity and, in the video, gave us body braces, murder, beautiful dead girls and funky fashion. Paparazzi was Gaga's fourth straight top 10 single from her debut album The Fame.
6. Celebration - Madonna. Any time Madge releases a single it's cause for Celebration, but when it's CALLED Celebration it's even better. Teaming with club master Paul Oakenfold, Celebration was a career spanning single, celebrating (if you will) Madonna's continuing reign as the Queen of the Dance Floor.
5. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings. The Ting Tings originally released this single in 2007 when still on an independent label. In 2008 it blew up in the UK, but it took until 2009 for That's Not My Name to hit in the states. Used in several advertising and marketing campaigns ( 90210, Brothers and Sisters, The City, etc.) the song was everywhere. Finally the Ting Tings get some recognition in the US.
4. Reach Out - Hilary Duff. SOOOOOOO overlooked, Hilary's hit took the hook from Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and sexed it up into a romp asking her suitor to "reach out and touch me". Hilary could easily become the closest thing the US has to Kylie if she keeps on the track laid out on her last full length album Dignity and this track. Sexy, flirty and grown up, this single rocked me all year. Give it a listen if you haven't. You'll love it!
3. Just Dance - Lady Gaga. The songs that started it all. Hitting #1 at the beginning of 2009, this song was just a glimpse at what was to come. Infectious, fun, daring and artsy, Gaga delivered a debut to remember. A hit just about everywhere, Just Dance started the phenom that was Gaga.
2. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga. Released as the first single off of The Fame Monster, Bad Romance ushered in a slightly thicker, harder sound for Gaga. With it's industrial influences and trademark Gaga catchiness, the song was sure to be etched in everyone's brain for months and years to come. To help out, one of the most innovative and stunning videos in recent history. Chapter 2 of Gaga's story is off to an amazy start.
1. LoveGame - Lady Gaga. Gaga hit all the right notes with LoveGame. Awesome catchphrase (I wanna take a ride on your disco stick) - check. Awesome beat - check. Awesome video - check. When it comes to memorable songs for 2009 you just can't beat it. It truly was Gaga's year, and LoveGame was her crowning achievement. Gaga is here to stay and you'd better get used to it.
So there they are, the best singles of the year according to me. What other opinion could you possibly need?
So there they are, the best singles of the year according to me. What other opinion could you possibly need?
Next month, the fight to overturn Prop. 8 will finally make its way to the U.S. District Court in San Francisco and the networks and media coalition are looking to put it on the tv. This would be a first for a federal court case in the Western states as traditionally cameras are restricted to only oral arguments. A media coalition, the major networks, Dow Jones & Co. and the Hearst Corporation are asking Judge Vaughn Walker for permission to televise and webcast the proceedings with TruTV to cover the case set to start January 11th. The plaintiffs and their attorneys, Ted Olson and David Boies, do not object to the idea. The close-minded defenders of Prop. 8 are objecting stating that televising the court hearings will be "potential for intimidation" and that the "right to a fair trial will be undermined." Sounds to me like they know they should be ashamed of what they are doing, huh? Let's put those bigots on tv and see what they are made of then. I think I know what they are made of, and it doesn't smell very good. Overturn Prop. 8 and let's make our country what it's supposed to be; fair, equal and free. [source]
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
It's 19 degrees in NYC today (that's -7 degrees celcius!!) It's cold y'all!!! I couldn't help but be reminded of Annie Lennox' song Cold from her exquisite 1992 album Diva. Never released as a single in the US, the song is one of the most beautiful and well-known of all Annie's tracks. Enjoy Cold and wish it was warmer.
Unfortunately, it's true. According to the Official Charts Company, Blunt's Back to Bedlam was the biggest selling album of the decade in the UK. While his song You're Beautiful was a one-hit wonder here in the US, James' album sold huge in the UK. No. 2 was Dido's album No Angel. Amy Winehouse comes in at No. 3 with Back to Black. Leona Lewis is the new comer coming in at No. 4 with her debut Spirit. David Gray (who?) is at No. 5 with White Ladder. No. 6 is taken up by The Beatles' 1 album and No. 7 is Dido again with Life For Rent. No. 8 is Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head. The only non-British act to make the list, Scissor Sisters' self-titled debut comes in at No. 9. Rounding out the Top 10 is Take That's Beautiful World. It's so interesting how different the tastes in music can be just across the pond. I guess it's what makes the world go round. [source]
Zelda Rubinstein, famous for roles in Poltergeist and Teen Witch, has been taken off life support. After three months at LA's Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, the decision has been made to take the 76-year-old off machines. Two of her major organs have failed. According to a RadarOnline.com a close friend stated, "Her lungs and kidneys have failed and she's in and out of consciousness. It's only a matter of time now - she doesn't have long to live." Such sad news. Zelda is truly a one-of-a-kind star who plays parts that I can't imagine anyone else doing. I remember her in 16 Candles. She had a small part, but sooooo funny. Hopefully she will peacefully "go into the light, Carol Anne." [source][image]
Billboard.com has compiled a list of the top one-hit wonders of the decade. These songs were the only significant hit for the artist who performed them, but DAYUM did they hit big!! Some are a nice flashback to the time they ruled the charts. Some make me wanna shoot myself in the ear. Here they are:
10. He Loves U Not - Dream. Diddy's girl group hit big back in December 2000 with this little ditty (pun intended). While their next single hit 39, it was a disappointment and the girls soon broke up. Aww.
9. Inside Your Heaven - Bo Bice. Bo won American Idol and Inside Your Heaven hit No. 2 in July 2005. The end....of the story and Bice. He hasn't seen the top 40 since. He was sexy though.
8. Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!) - Blu Cantrell. OMG! I loved this song. Sassy and sexy, Blu had a great voice and one big hit in July 2001. She was soon seen in a bunch of magazines in pics she posed for before she was famous with her naked VERY large azz out. That make ME blue.
7. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley. Quite a phenom at the time of it's release, people in July 2006 were saying Gnarls Barkley were the next big thing. They were wrong. They hit No. 2 and went away.
6. You're Beautiful - James Blunt. The most annoying song of the decade, this ear-sore hit No. 1 in March 2006 and made me want to jump in front of a subway car. Thank gayness he went away quick.
5. Laffy Taffy - D4L. Um, I've never heard of this group or this song, but apparently in January 2006 it was No. 1. Guess I missed that one. All signs point to WHEW!!!!
4. This Is Why I'm Hot - Mims. Another one I missed out on. Where was I? No idea. Don't care. This was No. 1 for two weeks in March '07. Okay.
3. Butterfly - Crazy Town. Now we're talkin'! Cute boys without shirts rapping about sensitive things. I'm in! I loved this song, but Crazy Town hit No. 1 for a couple of weeks and vanished. The blond guy was on Celebrity Rehab. Hmm.
2. Lean Back - Terror Squad. Ugh! Unfortunately, I DO remember this one. In August 2004 it topped the charts and made me doubt the ability of all America to hear.
1. Bad Day - Daniel Powter. With the help of being American Idol's send-off song, Powter took this song to No. 1 in April 2006, going on to become the biggest single of the year. He hasn't seen the Hot 100 since. I do like this song, but it makes me feel like I've been voted off something.
Anyway, those are the standout one-hit wonders of the decade. Can you think of any more? [image]
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was 2009's top grossing film. YEA!!! I really loved this Harry Potter film. Worldwide, HP took in $934 million and $302 domestically. The highest grossing film domestically was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with $402 million, followed by HP. The Hangover has a big year as well grossing $277 million domestically and $190 overseas to make it the highest grossing R-rated comedy of all time. Studio-wise, Warner Bros. is declaring that by the end of the year it will have set a new industry record, totalling $3.99 BILLION in ticket sales worldwide. Twentieth Century Fox still has a chance to beat that though with Avatar and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (I can't with that freakin' title) raking in money hand over fist. Even though the year ends on Thursday, the box office totals from this weekend are included in the year end tally. Fox also has a good chance at hitting $4 billion since they has a record $2.28 billion in foreign ticket sales. Whoever comes out on top, that's a lot of cheddar, yo! [source]
Monday, December 28, 2009
The LAPD has decided to end a program established in the 1940s with the Boy Scouts of America citing the Scouts anti-gay membership policies. The Explorer's Program, started in 1949 has "served since 1962 as a means of giving youth interested in law enforcement practical experience by allowing them to assist the LAPD with crowd monitoring, clerical work, and other tasks." The program is being revamped and will exclude the Boy Scouts because of their exclusion of gays, atheists and agnostics. Openly gay Police Commissioner Robert Salzman said that the new program, which he has helped to create, would be "as good or--I’m confident--better than the program it replaces." Police Commissioner Alan Skobin adds, "it’s bittersweet in the sense that the Boy Scouts or Learning for Life have been part of this for a long time--in name only--but the LAPD is committed to a better program and we can do that without having discrimination." The Boy Scouts have long held their outdated, idiotic policies and it's about time a respected, legitimate organization made them accountable for it. There is no room for intolerance, especially when molding the minds of our future citizens and leaders. The Scouts have no current plans to change their moronic rules. [source][image]
The boob tube is losing a pair of it's biggest boobs! Tyra Banks has announced that she is ending her talk show, interestingly named The Tyra Banks Show, after it's fifth season this year. Is she tired of making everyone's problems somehow about her? No. She has decided to concentrate on her movie production company, Bankable Studios. Tyra stated, "This will be the last season of The Tyra Show. I've been loving having fun, coming into your living rooms, bedrooms, hair salons for the past 5 years." She says her projects with her movie company will work to empower women and young girls. "My next huge steps will allow me to reach more women and young girls to help us all feel as fierce as we truly are," Banks says. Banks will also work with Project Smize, teaching children born without mouths to smile with their eyes. KIDDING!! That would be MY dream for what she would do next. If only........ [source]
Watching It's Complicated it's hard not to compare it to another movie form the same writer/director, Nancy Meyers: Something's Gotta Give. Both are romantic comedies about women of a certain age falling for men that perhaps they shouldn't. Both involve said women's children in some degree. Both have fun, sassy friends to share the ride. What SGG has was a tight script. It's Complicated is 10 minutes shorter than Something's Gotta Give and it seems an hour longer. THANK GAWD FOR MERYL STREEP!!! While the film has it's funny moments and touching moments and every other moment that is required for romantic comedy, what REALLY makes it work is Meryl Streep. She is glowing in this film. Her portrayal of a divorcee having an affair with her married ex-husband (Baldwin) is sexy, funny, heartbreaking, thoughtful and all around wonderful. Alec Baldwin as the ex-hubby is funny, if not one dimensional. Not really his fault as much as the writing. He is unhappy in his current marriage with a MUCH younger woman who has a five year old by another man. Steve Martin is the architect building onto Meryl's Jane's house. They begin dating and their relationship is the real joy to watch in this movie. Martin is as charming and funny as ever and shows that being a "good guy" pays off sometimes. Also, John Krasinski is adorable beyond belief as Jane's son-in=law who finds out about her affair with her married ex-husband and is trying to cope with keeping it a secret. The part I wanted to see more of were Jane's friends played by Rita Wilson, Alexandra Wentworth and Mary Kay Place. They are used in only two scenes and then they are gone. The movie could have been 30 minutes shorter without losing any of the story at all. But then again, every second Streep is on screen she is doing something amazy, so who knows what we might have lost. As far as romantic comedies go, It's Complicated is enjoyable and worth seeing. Don't see it, like I did, in a theatre without air conditioning though (Maybe that's why it seemed to go on forever) and don't try to compare it to Something's Gotta Give. It's Complicated will lose. Meryl for president!!!!!!!
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Avatar is showing no signs of stopping. With competition rolling in from Sherlock Holmes, Alvin and the Chipmunks (gag) and It's Complicated, Avatar still managed to stay atop the box office this weekend with a whopping 75 million. DAMN!!! The weekend also saw the biggest domestic box office weekend IN HISTORY!! Combined ticket sales equaled an estimated $285 million. After Avatar's 75 million was Sherlock Holmes with $65.4 million, Alvin et al with 50.2 and It's Complicated with 22.1 million. That's a lot of freakin' tickets sold right there. I haven't seen Sherlock (want to) or Alvin (would rather take out my own intestines with a spork), but It's Complicated is a lovely film (review coming soon) that you should go see. James Cameron is getting a lot of flack for calling some autograph seeker an a-hole recently, but it doesn't seem to be hurting his film. Maybe it's helping! Douche it up, Cameron. [source]
She made me love her. I didn't wanna do it. I didn't wanna do it. There are so many reasons to NOT like Ke$ha. She spells her name with a "$". Her voice is a little annoying. Her song is not smart or ironic. BUT I LOVE HER AND I LOVE THE SONG!!! Ke$ha hits the top spot on the Hot 100 this week with Tik Tok. The infectious little tune takes the spot from Jay-Z and Alicia Keys snoozefest Empire State of Mind. Thanks gawd someone did! It's actually not Ke$ha first time at #1. She had an uncredited vocal on Flo Rida's chart topper Right Round. She IS however the first female to take her debut single to No. 1 since Gaga did it with Just Dance in January. So keep it coming Ke$ha. See how long we can stand you.
Saturday, December 26, 2009
I have compiled my TOP 10 Amazy albums for 2009. It was hard to narrow down, but I came up with the ones that really got me going in '09. Some you'll know well, some you will want to know well, some you'll be ignorant and never get to know. Here's a tip from me to you: I know everything about music and you should follow whatever I say. Got it? Good. Here's the list........
10. Celebration - Madonna. No music countdown is complete without Madonna and it's undeniable that the hits compiled on her career-spanning greatest hits collection, Celebration, are a music history lesson of the last 27 years. Hitting the charts in 1982 with Everybody, Madonna has been THE most influential and legendary pop star of our and any generation. As shown by this collection and her two new (three on the special edition) songs Celebration, Revolver and It's So Cool, Madonna can still make magic and keep us dancing for years to come. All hail the Queen of Pop.....well....Queen of Everything. Worship her!
9. Glee Vol. 1 - Glee Cast. C'mon!!! This is just pure fun and joy. I mean, all the songs are great and the talent in this show is undeniable. Lea Michele and Amber Riley have voices that most pop tarts would kill for and they tear up covers of Take a Bow, Hate On Me and Taking Chances and Bust Your Windows. The cast takes on Don't Stop Believin', Can't Fight This Feelin' and Keep Holding On with gusto and chops to spare. Every track is outrageously good and you feel so happy after listening to it. Vol. 2 is also great, but I still go back to the first Vol. all the time. Listen to both and them buy them and thank me publicly for it.
8. This Is The One - Utada. Japanese pop icon, New York born Utada is an unusual case. She is one of the biggest selling artists in the world, but not know at all in the States. She released her first English language album in 2004, Exodus, to little attention but much praise. Her follow up is more pop friendly, less eclectic, but still has an edge and dark slant that US pop stars rarely risk. Every song is different and Utada's voice is strong and wonderfully different. Standout tracks are Apple & Cinnamon, Taking My Money Back and Come Back to Me. Also a bonus on the disc is Sanctuary, the theme from the video game Kingdom Hearts II played at the beginning in the movie. This is a truly beautiful piece of music that is beyond pop music. Give this album a chance. You'll fall in love.
7. Doll Domination - The Pussycat Dolls. Okay. Sorry. I know people are going to think I'm crazy, but for pure pop fun, this album was great. There are some really great songs on here, including some on the special edition by each member of the group taking lead vocals. Songs like Bottle Pop and Don't Wanna Fall in Love (ft. lead vocals by Kimberly Wyatt) and When I Grow Up are dance floor burners while I Hate This Part and I'm Done showcase some really emotive vocals by Nicole Scherzinger. Totally blown off and underrated, this one deserves another listen. Seriously!! Stop mocking me!
6. Don't Stop - Annie. Norwegian pop superstar Annie finally released her much-delayed follow up to 2004's Anniemal in 2009 titled Don't Stop. It did not disappoint at all! Full of eccentric beats and sassy lyrics, Annie proved that she was no one hit wonder in the albums department. The title track, Loco, My Love is Better and I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me all get you up and dancing while the atmospheric sounds of When the Night and Marie Cherie put you in a trance. Nothing at all like what you will hear on US radio, Annie takes risks that pay off every time. She should be a huge star here by now. Wake up, people!!!
5. We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings. The Ting Tings were already a hit overseas, but 2009 showed them coming to light in the US. Their record, We Started Nothing, was a blast of fresh, British air with funky drums and sing-song lyrics that caught hold of your brain and wouldn't let go. From Shut Up and Let Me Go, Great DJ to That's Not My Name and We Walk, the whole album is catchy and one that you can actually listen to from beginning to end. Recently signed to Jay-Z's label, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more from The Ting Tings this year, and if it's as good as this album, you'll be reading about it here next year too.
4. Rated R - Rihanna. Not just a copy of her monster hit Good Girl Gone Bad, Rihanna took inspiration from the volatile year she had in the press and in her private life and created a dark, searing record. Full of hard beats (Hard), violent lyrics (G4L), crunching guitars (Rockstar 101), the album also has some of the prettiest melodies (Fire Bomb) and saddest ballads (The Last Song) you'll ever hear. Is it a "feel good" album? No. But what you will get is first rate songwriting and performances from Rihanna that will stand the test of time.
3. It's Not Me, It's You - Lily Allen. Lilly dropped the mostly retro feel of her debut and added some electronic influences to her distinctive vocals and came up with yet another excellent collection of music for '09. Opening with the soops good Everyone's At It, the album rolls along at a pace that keeps you moving and laughing at the witty lyrics, occasionally finding yourself moved by songs like Who'd Have Know and Chinese. Lily often gets lost in the drama of her life, but the music stands for itself here. This album is outstanding and Lily deserves accolades for a smart, insightful work.
2. No Line On the Horizon - U2. U2 really topped themselves this year. No Line on the Horizon took everything that was U2 -- the soaring guitars, the beautiful melodies, Bono's amazing voice -- and amped it up with experimentation involving Eastern influences and eclectic arrangements. Some of their best work, including Fez/Being Born and Stand Up Comedy, were not released as singles, but the album as a whole is a piece of pure art. If you have not discovered this gem yet, get on it!
1. The Fame/Fame Monster - Lady Gaga. This is the album that would now quit this year. From January to December, Gaga has put out hit after hit -- Just Dance, LoveGame, Poker Face and more -- and the album does not have a bad track on it! The addition of The Fame Monster, with Bad Romance and So Happy I Could Die among it's highlights, only added to the fabulousness that was The Fame, so I lumped them together so as to be fair to all other artists this year. Gaga is brills!!!
So there it is. My Top 10 albums on the Amazy Music Awards list this year. Stay tuned later in the week for my top singles list. Hope you had a wonderful Xmas and are gearing up for a happy NYE. In the words of the late Brittany Murphy from Clueless, I'm outy.
Friday, December 25, 2009
Since Xmas falls on Friday -- well more specifically -- Madonna Friday this year, I thought it would be totes apprope to share Madge's version of Santa Baby. Recorded in 1987 for A Very Special Christmas album which gave proceeds to the Special Olympics, Madonna's version became very popular and is heard on the radio every year around this time. Since there was no video ever made, here is a compilation I found on youtube for you to enjoy. Suck it, Xmas. [image]
Thursday, December 24, 2009
The hottest thing since enchiladas, Ricky Martin, is 38 today!! From Menudo to Maria, La Vida Loca to being a daddy, Ricky has been keeping it sexy for years now. You can't deny, the man is good looking. Check out some evidence below. Happy birthday, Ricky. Marry me. What? Never mind.[image] [image]
Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical and countless nude photo scandals is embroiled in another -- brace yourself -- nude photo scandal. SHOCKING! Don't fight it, Vanessa. It is the thing you are MOST famous for. You could be the next LaToya Jackson if you play your cards right. Or wrong. Whatever. Hudgens, 21, is suing the website Moejackson.com for posting and refusing to take down sassy photos of her earlier this year. He lawyers are claiming copyright violation, according to TMZ.com. They are also reporting that Van's team has registered the nude photos with the U.S. Copyright Office. She is seeking damages and an order for the site Moejackson.com to take the photos down. In 2007 Vanessa flashed her wares all over the internet and issued a pubic -- er -- PUBLIC apology. Here's and idea. STOP TAKING NAKED PICTURES OF YOURSELF. On second thought, don't. Zac is finished with the HSM movies, so you got nothing else, girl. Flop it out. [source]
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
BOO!! This is sad news. After 23 years together and two kids, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins have split. Apparently, according to Sarandon's rep, the couple split over the summer. The couple never married, but they have certainly been together longer than most Hollywood mates. The Oscar winners met and began dating in 1988 on the set of their film Bull Durham. Her rep added, "no further comments will be made." So sad. [source]
Asher Roth (apparently a rapper..and kinda cute) has been the subject of rumors recently involving his coming out as being a gay. There was some Internet gossip going around that Roth was going to be coming out in an interview with E! news. Well, Roth, who recently released his first album, Asleep in the Bread Aisle (#5) and hit single I Love College, has denied any such rumors stating, "I hate to disappoint and take away the entertainment of it all but I am straight, not gay. It's disheartening to know such news on someone's personal life can be portrayed as fact with no viable source. This, to me, is an opportunity to expose our vulnerability to lies and manipulation through unprofessional and irresponsible news outlets, in which people consider truth." The rapper then added something that was very remarkably insightful and intelligent (especially for a rapper) adding, "Further, someone's sexual orientation should NEVER be big news, as it delivers a troubling message to children that they can't be themselves without fear of judgement. Race, creed, and sexual persuasion should not just be tolerated but understood and accepted. It's extremely disappointing that this topic would be used with the intention of being hurtful." Wow! I wish Roth was gay now so I could give him a big ol' smooch for being so smart! Good for you, Asher. I might have to illegally download some of your music. What? I don't buy rap. Here's the video to I Love College.
Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler is re-entering rehab for addiction to pain medication. The 61 year-old singer's last stint in rehab was in 2008, also for pain killer addiction. Recent months have seen Tyler and the other members of the group battling publicly, going back and forth from Tyler being in the band, then out, then in, then out. Etc. It's like reading Mariah Carey's diet diary. The band has not made a comment on this stint, but his daughter Liv Tyler issued the a statement saying, "My family and I are in complete support of my dad's decision to seek treatment. He is a courageous man. We love him and are so proud that he is getting help to balance his pain management, not just for himself but for his family, friends and fans." I hope Steven gets better. There IS no Aerosmith without him. [source][image]
IT'S HERE!!!!!! The first official trailer for SATC 2 is here. Watch Carrie and the girls have some fun. I am peeing all over myself right now.
Beyonce is performing at the Grammys? Really? She never performs at anything. NOT!!! Beyonce will perform at the opening of an envelope these days, so the announcement that she will be shaking her azz at the Grammys was not a shock. Nor is it surprising that her and Taylor Swift are nominated for every other award at the ceremony. Also making my eyes bleed during the broadcast will be the Black Eyed Peas. Ugh. How about some of the exciting performers like MGMT or Lady Gaga?? Let's get them on stage freakin' out!! Grammys? More like the GRANNIES! Bring on the disco sticks!!!
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Dragonette is a London-based, Canadian band I have recently gotten into. They are kinda awesome and you should give them a listen. Their album Fixin' to Thrill came out in October and it is a sweet electro-dance number. Check out the song Easy below. Weird, wild and fun, Dragonette is a new obsession.
You know, sometimes you just innocently post your picture on a site for gay guys to show off their junk. You know how that happens sometimes? Right? No. Okay. Well uber-twink singer Nick Jonas somehow posted his picture (on the left) on the naughty site Guys with iPhones (look it up at your own risk.....lots of naughty bits) at 2:10 in the morning on December 21st. Hmmmm....what was he doing on there? Well, of course people are saying it's probably a plant of the 17 year-old purity-ring wearing singer. If I had gone on that site in the last couple of days (I have), I might have seen this photo (I did) and started to sweat (I still am). The picture has since been taken down, so you can just look above. Not scandalous image-wise, but OH MY where it was posted. Explain away, PR peeps.[source and image]
In the 80s there were two major girl bands: The Bangles and The Go-Go's. I was in love with both!! More than anything, I loved me some Belinda Carlisle, which gave the Go-Go's a slight edge in some respect. There initial success with songs like We Got the Beat and Vacation lead to my fave song by the group, Head Over Heels. The song was the first single from The Go-Go's third album, Talk Show, and it peaked at #11 on the charts. I was surprised looking back that the song didn't peak in the top 10. It was literally EVERYWHERE in 1984. Anyhoo, the girls made a cute video of them playing and singing and the song is considered an 80s classic. In 2004 the tune was used in the Jennifer Garner movie 13 Going on 30. Check it out below and enjoy the hand-claps. (They are the count of 5)
Avatar not only blew MY mind, but apparently a lot of other people too! The film not only took in $77 million domestically versus the $73 million that was projected. The foreign total was $165.5 million compared to the $159.2 million estimated. The worldwide total came to $242.5 million, the best EVER for a nonsequel. The film is expected to have quite a run due to word of mouth and the fact that it's crazy amazy! Fox's president of domestic distribution Bruce Snyder stated, "I don't remember ever seeing this before." Sunday business was down just 3% from Saturday with moviegoers making up for the blizzard that hit the East Coast on Saturday, and it was UP 3% from Saturday to Sunday overseas. [source]
Monday, December 21, 2009
Surprise! After a decade of marriages, breakdowns, babies, head-shaving, vagina flashing, cheetos eating, lip-syncing and hit making, Britney Spears is officially the most searched celebrity on the internet of the last 10 years. According to Ask Jeeves, Brit outdid Barack Obama (#2), David Beckham (#3), Princess Diana (#4) and Tony Blair (#5) for the top spot. Britney shot to fame in 1998 with her hit Baby...One More Time and has had many hits. Her image was controversial at first, scantily clad and provocative at a young age, and her relationship with Justin Timberlake kept her in the headlines. Her sudden marriage and subsequent divorce after 55 hours to Jason Alexander in Vegas and her trainwreck marriage to Kevin Federline were highly publicized and she has two sons. Her recent album, Circus, was a big success, returning Brit to the top of the singles charts since her debut with Baby....One More Time. There is a rumored album on the way in early 2010. Let's hope for a more positive decade of internet coverage to come. [source]
You might recall the recent ad showing an ordinary girl being transformed for a billboard pointing out the way our perception of beauty is distorted. Well Alyssa Milano is in a new video for Funny or Die that makes light of that AND the travesty they call Jersey Shore on MTV. Hilarious!
Demi Moore recently posted a photo (see left) on her Twitter account stating, "had the priviledge (sic) of working with a giraffe yesterday he was so beautiful gentle and so amazing." The photo attached was an outtake from a Harper's Bazaar photo shoot where Demi looked quite amazing. "Fans" of Demi on Twitter then attacked her with tweets like "sorry but you look old. specially your neck & cheecks at the second shot," and "Ghost sucked." All the misspelling was on the part of the tweeter, not myself!! Demi responded, "I'm 47 how am I supposed to look?" It's true. Demi looks amazy for 47.....or 27 for that matter. Who cares how she looks that amazy, she just does. She is thin and gorgeous. Get over it, people!!! Demi shouldn't even respond to the losers giving her guff. A few weeks back people were bashing Demi for a supposed Photoshop disaster on her W cover, which I maintain was not a photoshop error at all. She is just skinny. LEAVE DEMI ALONE!!!![source]
Well, looks like I'll be up in my jammies again on Saturday mornings. The boys of Def Leppard are developing what is sure to be a rockin' cartoon. The band has signed a deal with Primary Wave to develop marketing and branding opportunities. One such opportunity is a cartoon show. Still in the early stages, the show will depict the members of the group in a "fictional, adventurous setting" says Larry Mestel, Primary Wave CEO. He also says they are developing "unusual" videogame and phone applications. I can't wait to see "Armageddon It" and "Love Bites" as cartoons. Ha. Rock on![source]
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Avatar, directed by Titanic/Terminator helmer James Cameron is visually stunning, of course. You would expect no less from a master of technology like Cameron. What is surprising is how he can digitally create an entire world and an entire race that is so enthralling and so realistic that you can completely lose yourself and forget that you are not in a real world with a real landscape. It's crazy! The human race has decided to salvage precious resources from the planet Pandora, only to find that the people there, the Na'vi, are not so trusting right away. And rightfully so. As much a commentary on war and who has the right to do what to whom, Avatar explores America's idea of what they have to right to do in the name of survival. The delicious and talented Sam Worthington is Jake Sully, an injured marine who takes over the Avatar left behind by his recently deceased twin brother, who was a scientist. It's also great to see Sigourney Weaver back in a big budget film in a role that fits her like a glove. As the tough talking, no-nonsense leader of the scientific team Grace, Weaver takes command of the screen and gives a depth and believability to the complicated explanations of the life forms and connection between the land and the people on Pandora. The motion-capture animation is breath-taking. Zoe Saldana, of Star Trek, is Neytiri, the Na'vi female, who is at the center of our story. The realism with which the creatures move is in part thanks to the motion of the actors on whom they are based. It is really hard to tell they are not living, breathing creatures. Crazy!! OH, I almost forgot. My favor tie non-lesbian lesbian, Michelle Rodriguez, is a tough-as-nails soldier with a heart of gold named Trudy. (Yes, I said Trudy). Anyway, Avatar is truly and amazing film that I will have to see again to take in everything I probably missed the first time around. It's film making and storytelling at it's finest on par with the world created for Harry Potter. Go see it today, damn you!!!
Actress Brittany Murphy has passed away from a heart attack at 32. Her
credits include King of the Hill, Drop Dead Goreous, 8 Mile, Sin City,
Girl Interupted and stealing my heart in Clueless. Brittany was a
unique and original person and she will be missed. R.I.P. Brittany.
Sent from my iPhone.
Tom Ford -- brilliant designer and all around hottie -- has released his first effort as a director. Well, to be fair, he is also the co-writer and producer of the breath-takingly beautiful film A Single Man. Colin Firth stars as George, a college professor in LA in the early '60s who is dealing with the sudden death of his partner of 16 years and, because of the time-period he lives in, only has himself and his long time best friend/fag hag Charley, played by the fantastic Julianne Moore, to express his feelings of loss to. Colin Firth, who I have always loved, is superb in this film. His very British, buttoned up professor constantly has depth and emotions hidden just beneath the surface as you see him go about his day. Moore's Charley is living life drunk and full of regret for a loveless marriage and never being able to have the life she wanted with George. Also amazy in the film is 20 year-old Nichloas Hoult. You might remember him from 2002's About a Boy a few years ago with Hugh Grant and Toni Collette. Well, that little boy is all grown up and not afraid of nudity. Neither is Firth, for that matter. I don't want to give away too much about the plot of the film because it is wonderfully written and executed. Every shot in the movie looks like a piece of art or a fashion ad, which can be credited to Ford's extensive and successful career in the fashion industry. I would not be shocked if Firth and Moore AND the film were nominated for Oscars and I really wouldn't be surprised if Moore won. She should have an Oscar by now, people!!!! Anyhoo, A Single Man is an incredibly moving film. GO SEE IT!
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
RuPaul's Drag Race is bringing in the big guns this season. And by guns I mean GAY ICONS!! Aside from the returning judges, fashion journalist Merle Ginsberg adn Project Runway designer Santino Rice, set to guest are Kathy Griffin, Cloris Leachman, Debbie Reynolds, Jackie Collins, Tatum O'Neal, Kathy Najimy, Tanya Tucker and Lisa Rinna (not a gay icon, but fierce nonetheless). HELLOOOO!!!!!! The "Race" begins again on February 1st at 9 PM on Logo (check your local listings) and you can bet I'll be sitting in front of the TV every week ready to snap my fingers and sway my neck with every "NO YOU DI'N'T!!". So practice your tuck and make some boobies out of rice bags cuz Ru is comin' atcha!! (wow. That was the gayest I've ever been) This show is amazy and if you haven't seen it then YOU ARE AGAINST THE TROOPS!!![source]
Tina Knowles, who has been dressing her daughter and her back up singers in fancy curtains for the past ten years, has filed for divorce from her husband of 30 year, Matthew Knowles. There have been some problems in the last year. Matthew was hit with a paternity suit in October and according to documents the couple "ceased to live together as husband and wife on or about January 5, 2009" which happens to be the date of their 30th anniversary. SNAP!!! They have two children: Beyonce and her clone-gone-wrong sister Solange. I mean really, did she have a chance with a name like SOLANGE???? When I hear her name I always sing the jingle "Solange selectives". [source]
Awww, seems like only yesterday Xtina was premiering her vagina.....um.....song on MTV. Well, both! I love me some Xtina and I hope she comes out strong again with her next album. The last one was Snoozeville!!! Anyway, we hope Christina enjoys her 29th birthday and here's a little classic Christina for ya!!! [image]
Thursday, December 17, 2009
HOT HOT HOT!! I love Alexandra Burke, last year's winner of X Factor in the UK and her first single, Bad Boys, was smokin'. Now comes the follow up, the soops sassy Broken Heels. A female anthem that is gonna blow you away. Check it out!!!
Quite possibly the most dramatic pop/metal band of the 80s, Whitesnake put out their self-title album in 1987 and it was a massive, massive success, going on to become one of the best selling albums of last couple of decades. The first two singles, Still of the Night and Here I Go Again, are classics and so was their third single (and my fave) Is This Love. A rock ballad (all the rage in the 80s) this song shot to #2 on the Hot 100 and stands as one of the best singles and videos of the decade. The video featured the "Whitesnake girl" and girlfriend at the time of lead singer David Coverdale, Tawny Kitaen. She stared in a series of videos for the band at the time and she is a hot hot hottie in this one. She is just a hot mess now (poor thing). Well, in this case, let's dwell on the past when men had perms, metal ruled the charts, and Tawny Kitaen didn't look like something you found in your shower drain. Here is Is This Love.
YES!!!! I am sooooo stoked for this movie to come out. Despite my complete distaste for anything Kristen Stewart, I AM obsessed with Joan Jett and Lita Ford, so this semi-bio pic about thier teenage girl band The Runaways starring Deathly Stewart and Dakota Fanning (yea!) has got me all aquiver. The just released teaser features the band's hit Cherry Bomb and lots of shots of KStew and Dakota rocking out. Looks like a jailbait dream!!! Watch the teaser, see the movie, buy music, worship it. [source]
DUH!!!! Jackman, 41, was voted the hottest Aussie hunk by fans (and my loins) on Fandango.com. Hugh beat out fellow Aussies Eric Bana (yummy), Sam Worthington, Simon Baker (hummana hummana), Ryan Kwanten (yes, please)and Chris Hemsworth (sigh). Russell Crowe wasn't able to drag his fat ass onto the list. What? Did I say that outloud? Oops. HUGH JACKMAN IS A SEX GOD!!!!!! [source][image]
One of my fave girl groups of all time, Bananarama, has something to (sort of) harmonize about today!! Sara Dallin, who has been with the group since the beginning, is turning 48 today. I loved Bananarama from the first time I heard "Robert De Niro's Waiting" and just got their new album, Viva, recently. Bananarama hold the record in Guinness Book of World Records as the all-female group who have the most chart entries in history!! Sara has always been a force in the group and we love her for it. Here is some Bananarama (new, old and older) for you to enjoy today!!!
The Screen Actors' Guild has announced it's annual awards nominations and will give us a little more incite into who might be in the running for an Oscar this year. A lot of the names that are popping up in all the accolades given so far are here: films like An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, Nine and Precious are nominated for best ensemble cast. Nominees for best actor include Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, Colin Firth, Morgan Freeman and Jeremy Renner. The actress noms include Sandra Bullock, Helen Mirren, Carey Mulligan, Gabourey Sidibe and, of course, Meryl Streep (who is nominated against HERSELF for a Golden Globe in the category of best actress in a comedy). The SAG award for best ensemble cast has matched the winner of Best Picture at the Oscars for 7 of the last 14 years. You can see a more extensive list here. [source][image]
Nicole Kidman walked the red carpet at the premiere of her movie Nine with powder all over her face, and unlike Lindsey Lohan, it wasn't because she missed her nose. The usually flawlessly made-up Kidman had VERY noticeable powder patches (for lack of a better word) all over her face. Whoever was responsible for her makeup is probably still picking their teeth up off the floor in the back alley of the theatre. Girl looks like she was baking a cake with the Swedish Chef or something!! How does this happen. I mean, really! Inexcusable! On second thought, I am sure it wasn't a gay who did her makeup. I mean, we would never let this happen. We stand by our hags!! [image]
Seems like we just finished!!! I hope it doesn't start to play out, like ANTM....Oh, who am I kidding. Just like Top Model, it could run back-to-back for 100 years and I wouldn't miss an episode. Lifetime is gettin' while the gettin' is good and launching Season 7 of Project Runway January 14 at 10 PM. Brining this season back to New York Heidi, Tim, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and the designers will once again start down the road to fashion week. Also returning for a second season is the most useless show ever put on television, Models of the Runway. Imagine ANTM without crazy people and with girls that are actual working models. YAWN!!! Anyway, Project Runway is amazy and I cant' wait to see who will be the bitch, cry baby, snob and crazy bohemian of the season. [source][image]
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
WOWZA!! Like mother, like daughter. Madonna and Lourdes both look great at the premiere of Nine. I can't believe how grown up Lola is starting to look! I can't wait to see Nine. I hear it's amazy like crazy!
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love HP and I JUST read The Deathly Hallows, so this movie is so exciting to me!! I cannot wait to see it and live it and love it and marry it. Watch the teaser below.
Tony Award winnder Idina Menzel will appear on Glee when the hit Fox show returns in April. As if the show weren't gay enough (and I mean that in the best possible way) Elphaba herself will presumably swooping in to play the coach of McKinley High's rival Glee club Vocal Adrenaline. Menzel won a Tony for her performance in Wicked and was nominated for Rent. Of course, the real gayness will come when the already confirmed all-Madonna episode finally comes to fruition, but I digress. Idina will be amazy on Glee!!!! [source]
More men join the cast of True Blood!!! KEEP 'EM COMING, I SAY!!! HBO's True Blood jas cast uber-hottie Joe Manganiello (How I Met Your Mother) as Alcide, the alpha male werewolf. Cooper Huckabee is also joining the cast playing Sam's dad Joe Lee Mickens. Click on the names for some pics. [source]