Monday, November 30, 2009

REVIEW: KID SISTER - ULTRAVIOLET

Rap is not my thing. I mean, I like all the mainstream stuff that I am sure people that are ACTUALLY into rap don't really care about. I long for the days when rap was fun and poppy and easy. I miss Ice Ice Baby, Push It, Supersonic, Parents Just Don't Understand, Walk This Way.....you get it. Well Kid Sister is a throwback to the 80s, fun, pop-rap. Kid Sister has been around for a while, technically since 2005, but this her debut album is just now being released. She signed to Kanye West's Fool's Gold label in 2007 and released Pro Nails to much critical acclaim and now her album, Ultraviolet, has finally here. This is a fun record. It's rap, but it's got some vocals and plenty of club synths on it. Tracks like Right Hand Hi, the first single, and Step (ft. Estelle) are standout tracks that will have you shakin' your azz all over your room gettin' ready to go out. Big N Bad samples Yaz's Don't Go to great effect, and Kanye West even appears on the song Pro Nails, which is about....well.....you can get guess. Daydreaming is a rap/club/electro ballad, believe it or not, and it actually works pretty well. My favorite track is one that goes back a while. I heard it a couple years ago actually and fell in love immediately. Control is an amazy club track with some fun, retro-sounding lyrics. I dare you not to dance to it. Overall I would say that Ultraviolet is worth a shot if you like to have some music on in the background that will make you move, but I don't know it will stay on my playlist for a long time or turn into a flavor of the month. Only time will tell. For now, I'mma' jam to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment