Wednesday, April 25, 2012

THE #1 SONG 25 YEARS AGO TODAY WAS....

I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) by George Michael and Aretha Franklin. I remember very clearly how everyone lost their freakin' minds over George Michael recording with Aretha. I am a HUGE George Michael fan, but I am not a huge fan of Franklin. I DO, however, love her 80s duets. This song and Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves with the Eurythmics in particular. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) was a one-off song recorded simply because of the fact that George wanted to record with Aretha and it ended up hitting #1 in both the UK and on the US Billboard Hot 100. The song was Aretha's first and only #1 song in the UK, Michael's third consecutive solo #1 hit in the UK and fourth overall #1 hit in the US, including his songs with Wham! Of course, after the release of this song neither of them was ever heard from again. Ha. I really do love this song though and it makes me remember fondly the days with Aretha Franklin had a neck. Enjoy the video for the #1 song 25 years ago today, I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me).

George Michael & Aretha Franklin - I Knew You... by AuronTheBossAndTheBest

No comments:

Post a Comment