Monday, November 2, 2009

CARRIE UNDERWOOD: PLAY ON - REVIEW

I got my hands on a copy of Carrie Underwood's new cd, Play On. Now I think Carrie has got an amazy voice and is pretty as a speckled pup under a red wagon, but her two albums have been very hit or miss to me. I realize she has sold more than any other American Idol alum, but country just isn't always my cup of tea. That being said, I LOVE Last Name, Before He Cheats, Jesus Take the Wheel and a couple of others, but I REALLY like her take on Alone, I Told You So, I'll Stand By You, and Praying for Time, all of which were covers of 80s hits. Her new disc, Play On, kicks off with a goodie!! Cowboy Casanova is heavy with guitars, fiddles and a sassified Carrie giving what-for to a good-for-nothing guy. It is the perfect answer to any Def Leppard stripper theme (which I also love) and rocks with the best of 'em. Quitter brings us back to the country with some banjo pickin' and a boy-meets-girl story. Very light and Summer-y. The next track, Mama's Song, is a real tear jerker about going out on your own, finding love and helping your parents let you grow up and make your own mistakes and successes. Very pretty, great, soulful performance on this track. Change is another ballad about social awareness and questioning what part we play and if our efforts can really make a difference in trying to "change the world". The strings are strong and the vocals are once again top notch. Carrie does not disappoint vocally on this album at all. Change builds to a great finale and is a single waiting to happen. Undo It sounds like "What I Am" by Edie Brickell when it frist starts off. It has a swinging rock feel and a stuttering chorus that lets Underwood hit some high notes and a great "na na n-na na" bridge that keeps your head bopping along. Someday When I Stop Loving You is a sweet country ballad about moving along, slowly but surely, after an affair has ended. Songs Like This is just the opposite starting off with "Wanna find some boy, break his heart right out" and doesn't stop there. Great banjo and rock guitar and the lyric "If it wasn't for guys like you there wouldn't be songs like this". Good one! Following that rocker is another ballad, but a good one. Temporary Home is a sad tale about foster care and shelters and the system so many have to live in these days. How strange and scary it is to be passed from place to place but to still have hope of finding a place in this world. This time is another Summer-y mid-tempo song that Carrie croons about how good love is feeling "this time". Great slide guitar is this little ditty. Look at Me is another ballad about falling for a guy and hoping he feels the same. By this point in the record, I can say that the ballads are starting to sound a little alike and I would love another rocking song to get me up and at 'em! Unapologize doesn't quite take us there, though it gets us hafway there. Carrie is taking back her apology to a douche that hurt her and she let loose on, apologized for, then came back and "unapologized". Clever wording, pretty good song. What Can I Say takes us back to the balladry. Carrie's voice is so pretty that this song is instantly listenable, but again, the ballads are wearing me out. That being said, this song has radio written all over it. Pretty, simple, lovely, romantic. Singing with the Sons of Silvia, the harmonies are gorgeouso and we'll probably see this video soon I'm guessing. The final track on the album is the title track, Play On. An uplifting song about perserverence and sacrifice that moves along at a nice pace, but isn't the best track on the album. It does leave you uplifted and of course Carrie's voice is flawless. All said and done, and understanding country is not my thing, Play On is a satisfying album with plenty of hits contained and I'm sure awards are in store once again for Carrie Underwood. Give it a listen and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment