Wednesday, January 25, 2012

REVIEW: LANA DEL REY - BORN TO DIE

The much discussed, much argued about, and much anticipated Lana Del Rey's album, Born to Die, leaked yesterday morning, just a week before it's official release. Oh, what the hell, I'm gonna go ahead and review this little nugget. Aside from the songs that I've already featured on here (Video Games & Born to Die) which I love, I haven't heard any other tunes by Lana Del Rey. Well, now I have, and you know what: I like 'em! Her sleepy voice is surrounded by strings, shadows of hip-hop, and hipstery excess. Off to the Races has the hoots and whistles and deep bass drum grooving it on as the Born to Die and a flirty, girly vocal. Blue Jeans, another track previewed on youtube, would be the perfect fit for a David Lynch movie. It reminds me of , the theme from Twin Peaks. Anybody? Diet Mountain Dew, Radio, This What Makes Us Girls and Lolita take things in a cutesy, pop direction, but still maintain a very Del Rey sound. That's a good thing, by the way. I can hear them playing on the radio this summer already. Dark Paradise, Million Dollar Man and Carmen stay in the ominous-y tone of the lead singles. Quite lush and atmospheric. Whether or not Lana can sing this set live...well, we'll have to wait and see. BUT this album is worth a listen and is, in my opinion, a pretty impressive debut. I've listened to it a couple of times and it's pretty addictive. I'm not weighing in on how legit her background is or her SNL performance anymore than I already have, but Born to Die deserves some attention. I'll be interested to see if it gets it. Give it a try. The album is available for pre-order on iTunes in both its regular and deluxe version.

No comments:

Post a Comment