Friday, January 27, 2012

MADONNA FRIDAY: PAPA DON'T PREACH

in the very beginning Madonna was the ragamuffin girl with the bow in her hair, the piles of bright makeup and the torn tights. Much to the surprise of everyone in the music industry, Madonna did the very first of her MAJOR image changes when she popped up on screen with a pixie haircut and a very lean physique. Papa Don't Preach was the first official single from her smash hit album True Blue (Live to Tell was out before the album as a track from the film At Close Range). The song caused controversy for it's "keeping my baby" stance and, for the first time, parents were praising Madonna for a pro-life message, while some women's organizations condemned Madonna for encouraging teen pregnancy. It's a story in a song! Madonna told the New York Times, "Papa Don't Preach is a message song that everyone is going to take the wrong way. Immediately they're going to say I am advising every young girl to go out and get pregnant. When I first heard the song, I thought it was silly. But then I thought, wait a minute, this song is really about a girl who is making a decision in her life. She has a very close relationship with her father and wants to maintain that closeness. To me it's a celebration of life. It says, 'I love you, father, and I love this man and this child that is growing inside me'. Of course, who knows how it will end? But at least it starts off positive." The song reached #1 on the Hot 100, becoming Madonna's fourth song to top the charts. The song, along with the music video, are among Madonna's most memorable and important. Truly a classic by any standards, here is Madonna's giant hit from the summer of 1986, Papa Don't Preach. [source]






No comments:

Post a Comment