Monday, October 26, 2009

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES!!

Love Jane Austen? Love zombies stories? THEN JACKPOT, YOU GOTTA READ THIS BOOK!! Now my motto has always been, "Honey, I don't read. I'm read to," just like Karen Walker, but Seth Grahame-Smith has taken the classic text by Jane Austen and added in enough gory, creepy, exciting zombie carnage to satisfy both the book snob in you AND the monster movie geek. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies came about when an editor at Quirk Books, Jason Rekulak, compared a list of fanboy characters like ninjas and monkeys and zombies with titles of public domain books like Wuthering Heights and War and Peace. PP&Z just stuck in his head. He called Grahame-Smith and told him about his title. Grahame-Smith thought it was brilliant and started on it straight away. (I am sounding like a Jane Austen character now) He found that the original story and text suited adding in some zombie elements because "You have this fiercely independent heroine, you have this dashing heroic gentleman, you have a militia camped out for seemingly no reason whatsoever nearby, and people are always walking here and there and taking carriage rides here and there . . . It was just ripe for gore and senseless violence. From my perspective anyway."[source] I am not yet through with the book, but I have to say it is a joy to read. I don't normally read books like Pride and Prejudice, but I was drawn to this idea of taking a classic and making it something entirely different while still using the original text. It's a fun read and it still makes you think. (beware Twilight fans, you will have to think and it may be painful at first. I kid, I kid!!) Anyhoooo, check it out. Did I mention it even made the New York Times Bestseller list. Well it did!! OH! ps...it's a GREAT book for Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment