Tuesday, October 27, 2009

HAIR ON BROADWAY=AMAZINESS!!

My boyfriend and I mozied on down to the Al Hirschfeld Theatre last night to see the Broadway production of Hair. I had not seen this production, which won the 2009 Tony for Best Revival, before, so I had no idea what I was in store for. First of all, the cast is incredible!! So much energy and soooo much commitment to the material it is really inspiring. Will Swenson, who plays Berger was all sex and insanity, slinking through the opening number stripping down to a fringe g-string and straddling several unsuspecting audience members during the first numbers in the show. There were a couple of understudies in, but it certainly didn't change the very high quality of the show. Their performances were pitch perfect. Paris Remillard was on in the role of Claude and he was great. His voice and his acting are both top notch and he is adorable ta-boot!! Nicole Lewis was a feisty, strong Sheila, imbuing the character with intelligence and bravery. In his usual role as Woof, Bryce Ryness was both charming and sexy as he fawned over Mick Jagger, whom he is obsessed with and wants to make love to. The ensemble was packed with talent, especially Sasha Allen who sang the role of Dionne (Her "Aquarius" was the most amazing I have ever heard). The songs are all legendary from Aquarius to Black Boys, Manchester England, Hair, Easy to Be Hard, Hare Krishna and of course Let the Sun Shine In. This production is really not to be missed. There's even some juicy nudity right smack dab in the middle of it!!! (yowza!!!) If you get a chance, you MUST MUST MUST go see Hair!!!! PS..I almost forgot to mention that during the times the cast members came into the audience I got a kiss on the head from Berger, Claude laid in my lap, Hud storked my face and Sheila just came to have a chat. YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment