Friday, February 14, 2014

MADONNA FRIDAY: OKAY. FINE. FOUR MADONNA BALLADS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY

I just can't resist. Here are four of my favorite Madonna ballads for your sappy enjoyment on this Valentine's Day, some of my top picks for love songs from the Queen of Pop. Crazy For You was Madonna's very first ballad to be released (I don't count Borderline as a ballad. DUH!). It hit #1 on the Hot 100 on May 11, 1985 and proved that Madonna was not just a dance artist, she could sell a ballad as well. La Isla Bonita was the fifth single from Madonna's monster album True Blue and has been a staple of her live shows ever since. FUN FACT: La Isla Bonita is Spanish for "I don't speak Spanish". JAYKAY! The song hit #4 in May of 1987 and is definitely a classic pop song. Rain is my very favorite Madonna ballad of all time. From the astoundingly perfect album Erotica, Rain was the fourth North American single and hit #14 on the Hot 100. BLASPHEMY! Give that bitch a #1! The video is equally beautiful. LOVE!!! Finally, Madonna recorded a cover of Marvin Gaye's I Want You with Massive Attack for the album Inner City Blued: The Music of Marvin Gaye and included it on her compilation album Something To Remember. The track is very sparse and relies on Madonna's vocals and a beat by Massive Attack with strings swelling in and out. It's quite lovely and heartbreaking. Okay, mo'fo's, Those are the songs I am treating you with on this V-day, so snuggle up to someone or something you love and sway along. Cry if you feel like it. I won't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment