Monday, March 7, 2011

ACTOR PLEADS INEQUALITY AND GETS OUT OF JURY DUTY

I'm all for any reason to get out of jury duty!! Recently in NYC Jonathan D. Lovitz, and actor/singer/model turned activist (who is extremely easy on the eyes) brought to the attention of those running the process at jury duty that he was not able to judge fellow citizens impartially because he was being denied his rights as a citizen of New York State. Jonathan wrote on facebook:
"Just had an intense day at jury duty. During voir dire we were asked who would not be impartial. I raised my hand and said 'since I can't get married or adopt a child in the state of New York, I can't possibly be an impartial judge of a citizen when I am considered a second class one in the eyes of this justice system.' You wouldn't believe how people in the room reacted."
BRAVO!! Jonathan was, of course, immediately dismissed from jury duty. I never even thought of this before, but it's so true. How can we in the gay community be called upon to fairly judge by a system that denies us our rights? We have to be brave enough to take stands like Jonathan did until we are treated as equals. You can help in your everyday life too. You can also join organizations, like the Human Rights Campaign, that are fighting every single day in NY for equality. Hooray for Jonathan!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment