Sunday, January 6, 2013

FLASHBACK SPECIAL: MY MUSIC IN 1985

I recently stumbled upon something of a personal treasure while visiting my mother back home. (Yes, I'm aware that sentence was very formal, but I'm in the middle of a Downton Abbey marathon.) When I was a boy I used to keep my own personal list of my favorite top 30 songs every single week. I had a lot of time on my hands and I LOVED pop music then as much as I do now. I thought for the next few months I would share with you the musings of a young gay boy from Texas in 1985. Madonna was just starting, Duran Duran was starting to cool. Two Jacksons that were neither Michael nor Janet were on the charts!! Cyndi Lauper and Bruce Springsteen were the most tubular things around and George Michael was straight. Well.... Some of the songs will bring back memories and some I barely remember, but here we go. My top 30 songs for January 6, 1985, which, like January 6, 2013, was a Sunday. Take THAT coincidence!! We start with our #1 song in its 7th week at the top. Go.... OH! I won't put in a link to all videos, just some rare ones to please myself and hopefully you. Feel free to comment on memories you have. I'd love to know if you remember these gems too. AND yes, that's what I looked like in 1985. AWKWARD!

30. Operator - Midnight Star 
29. Tender Years - John Cafferty 
28. Call of the Heart - Giuffria 
27. Misled - Kool & The Gang 
26. Solid - Ashford and Simpson
25. Mr. Telephone Man - New Edition 
24. Foolish Heart - Steve Perry 
23. Bruce - Rick Springfield 
22. Method of Modern Love - Hall & Oates 
21. Cool It Now - New Edition 
20. Mistake #3 - Culture Club 
19. Jungle Love - The Time 
18. Love Light In Flight - Stevie Wonder 
17. Neutron Dance - The Pointer Sisters 
16. Wild Boys - Duran Duran 
15. Centipede - Rebbie Jackson 
14. Belle of St. Mark - Sheila E. 
13. Jamie - Ray Parker, Jr. 
12. Easy Lover - Phil Collins & Philip Bailey
11. Money Changes Everything - Cyndi Lauper 
10. Careless Whisper - Wham! 
09. Boys of Summer - Don Henley 
08. Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid 
07. Loverboy - Billy Ocean 
06. Do What You Do - Jermaine Jackson 
05. Run To You - Bryan Adams 
04. Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen 
03. You're the Inspiration - Chicago 
02. I Would Die 4 U - Prince & the Revolution 
01. Like a Virgin - Madonna (7th week at #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment