Sunday, January 13, 2013

FLASHBACK SPECIAL: MY MUSIC IN 1985 - JANUARY 13TH

Wow. Memory lane is a weird street to walk down sometimes. To actually see these songs that I apparently knew so well in 1985 and can't even remember now is super strange. For instance, I can't sing one word of Call to the Heart or Jamie now, but I guess I was dancing around in my parachute pants to them in the mid-80s. Who knew? This week sees the debut of the first solo single by Van Halen's former/future/former/future lead singer David Lee Roth. Huge crush on him then! AND Tina Turner's first appearance of 1985 on my little chart. I also reluctantly, after 7 weeks at #1, gave someone else Madonna's spot, but even now I have to admit it was time for this week's song at the pinnacle to have it's "purple reign". See what I did there? Another thing that strikes me is that now music seems to be ruled by exclusively women, but on these old lists I used to keep men, women and groups seemed to be more even in my estimation. I miss those days. Okay. So here is the Top 30 songs for the week of January 13, 1985. Enjoy, nerds.


30. Private Dancer - Tina Turner
29. Centipede - Rebbie Jackson
28. California Girls - David Lee Roth
27. Operator - Midnight Star
26. Misled - Kool & The Gang
25. Call to the Heart - Giuffria
24. Solid - Ashford & Simpson
23. Mr. Telephone Man - New Edition
22. Cool It Now - New Edition
21. Foolish Heart - Steve Perry
20. Bruce - Rick Springfield
19. Wild Boys - Duran Duran
18. Mistake #3 - Culture Club
17. Do What You Do - Jermaine Jackson
16. Belle of St. Mark - Sheila E.
15. Method of Modern Love - Hall & Oates
14. Jungle Love - The Time
13. Love Light In Flight - Stevie Wonder
12. Jamie - Ray Parker, Jr.
11. Easy Lover - Phil Collins & Philip Bailey
10. Neutron Dance - The Pointer Sisters
09. Money Changes Everything - Cyndi Lauper
08. Careless Whisper - Wham!
07. Boys of Summer - Don Henley
06. Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid
05. Loverboy - Billy Ocean
04. Born in the USA - Bruce Sprinsteen
03. You're the Inspiration - Chicago
02. Like a Virgin - Madonna
01. I Would Die 4 U - Prince & The Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment