Thursday, June 16, 2011

MY LETTER TO THE NEW YORK SENATORS

Dear Senator,

Hello. My name is Wendell Odom and I am a gay New Yorker. My fiance Ben and I have been together for almost three years and have been engaged since February. Marriage equality in New York is very important to us for many reasons, but most of all so that we are a family, with the same legal rights as any family. Aside from the simple statement of standing up in front of our friends and family and saying "I Do", we also need the security of knowing that LEGALLY we are there for one another in case, goodness forbid, something should happen to either one of us. This is not a religious argument to me. It is strictly legal. I would never dream of infringing on anyone's beliefs and religion, nor would I expect or ask anyone to perform a legal ceremony that was against their religious beliefs. I think the religious exemption added to the bill is an excellent step towards protecting everyone's freedom. Please, as a leader of the great State of New York, vote YES on marriage equality. It is the only way that ALL New Yorkers can truly be equal in the eyes of the law. I love New York and I want to be married in my HOME. New York is that home. As a state worker, I see the rights of people upheld every day. I want to be one of those people today. If you haven't already, consider the legal precedent we can set for equality for every region, not just in the US, but around the world. It's time for New York to a leader. Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from your office.

Sincerely,
Wendell Odom


COPY AND PAST THESE EMAILS, BCC THEM, AND SEND AN EMAIL TODAY:
gball@nysenate.gov,
fuschill@senate.state.ny.us,
hannon@nysenate.gov,
lanza@senate.state.ny.us,
little@nysenate.gov,
grisanti@nysenate.gov,
saland@nysenate.gov,
flanagan@senate.state.ny.us,

No comments:

Post a Comment