Thursday, June 9, 2011

REVIEW: BEYONCE - 4

Yes, Beyonce is back. I have obtained the widely leaked copy of her new album 4 and I have to say, I am very pleasantly surprised. While I don't sense a gigantic, radio-friendly hit, it's a solid, well produced album as a whole. Much like Gaga, maybe Beyonce is focusing on making albums instead of singles. There is a lot of retro influence form the Prince-esque 1+1 to the smooth 70s, Tina Turner R&B of Love on Top, and the harder spark of Start Over. Now, just because there isn't a Single Ladies kind of single doesn't mean there aren't huge songs that deserve to tear up the listening public. I Care is a sexy, write-off song to a lover who done her wrong. It's big, it's sassy, it's sensual and angry and it WORKS!!! In a big, big way. In my opinion one of the finest songs Beyonce has ever done. I Miss You also hits a high note on the album with it's simple, bubbling background and lovely vocals. Of course, the vocals are always spot-on with Beyonce, so that goes without saying. The much maligned lead off single, Run the World (Girls) grows on you after a while, I have to say. It's staccato beats catch on and groove with me now. Another song that made its way to us ahead of time is Best Thing I Never Had. It's not exactly exciting enough to be a single, but would have fit in great on the Dreamgirls soundtrack. I wonder if she considered it back then? Hmmm. Party (ft. Andre 3000 and Kanye West) is about as 70s as you can get. Rich, deep bass line and lava-lamp grooviness abounds. I could do without Kanye. It's not quite a party jam, but it's about as close as you're going to get on 4. All in all, there is not a bad song on this record. It's not a single-heavy piece though. It IS however a record you can listen to all the way through, and we don't get too many of those from artists that have become popular in the last 15 years. So rejoice! Or don't. I don't care. I like it. Good job, Bey.

No comments:

Post a Comment