Tuesday, October 8, 2013

TRACK-BY-TRACK REVIEW: BANGERZ (DELUXE VERSION) - MILEY CYRUS

Miley Cyrus' new, much-anticipated album, Bangerz, is finally here. Were you waiting as patiently as I? A decidedly grown up Miley seems to be in control of what is happening on this record, I must say, along with executive producer Mike Will Made It (whose name is recited at the start of every other song). Very determined vocals, power ballads, some goofy fun and great production. Here is my track-by-track review of Ms. Cyrus' adult debut album, if you will.

1. Adore - A straight up love ballad starts off Bangerz, and it's a great way to do it. Soft, lush and quite pretty. A subtle, nuanced vocal performance given in almost a whisper at times. A song about how much she loves her man. I could definitely see this as single material. Adore reminds me of those 90s ballads from Shania Twain like Still the One, aka I love it.

2. We Can't Stop - I really don't need to review this amazy song, do I?

3. SMS (Bangerz)(feat. Britney Spears) - FUN!! Okay, yes. At first listen it is a little overwhelming, but it's actually kind of cute and funny. Britney doesn't show up until the second verse, but Miley is doing a little rapping all through the beginning and then it's a sexy little girly jam all the way through. Even a little naughty ("They as me how I keep a man. I keep a battery pack." Ha!)I am guessing that this WILL be a single. I mean, Britney and Miley? Right?? I can practically see the hot-pants-crop-top video already.

4. 4X4 (feat. Nelly) - "I'm a female rebel" is how this country/rap hybrid starts off. I know "country/rap hybrid" does not instill a lot of confidence in me either, but this is actually kind of fun, y'all! I mean, Miley herself has become a bit of a link between hip hop and country lately and Nelly has always been pretty country, right? It's a hip hop hoe down, bitches!!! Yee-haw!

5. My Darlin' (feat. Future) - Once again, just like Loveeeeeee (I can't with all of those "e"s) on Rihanna's last album, a perfectly good song is ruined by "singer" Future. I do NOT understand him or anyone's interest in him. C'mon! That computer thing they do with his voice makes me want to kill my eardrums. An otherwise fine ballad is ruined by him. That's all I have to say about that.

6. Wrecking Ball - I mean....this song is one of (if not THE) best song of the year so far, IMO.  I absolutely love it. Miley's first #1, y'all!

7. Love Money Party (feat. Big Sean) - Another big party song. Coming in sounding like somewhat of a dark circus theme, Miley mostly speed raps and does it pretty convincingly, I must say. Pretty fun little jam.

8. #GETITRIGHT - Jumping on the hash tag craze, this song is just a breezy little number that rolls along at a pretty easy pace with a whistle along melody. Not exactly a standout track, but not a throw away either. Probably more and more catchy as you hear it more.

9. Drive - It's interesting on these hip hop ballads how Miley's voice still leans toward country music. It sort of draws into focus the similarity between the two genres in a way. Drive is dark and emotional, much like Wrecking Ball in feeling. Very nice.

10. FU (feat. French Montana) - Picking up the pace, but staying dramatic, Miley gets a little angry on FU, as you can imagine from the title. A rap/sung collaboration that works for the most part. Clever lyrics help keep the groove moving along.

11. Do My Thang - Yep. I wrote "thang". That's the way it's spelled, k? At this point you will notice there are a lot of break up songs on Bangerz. This is no exception. You let Miley go and she's gonna do her "thang", girl. This song sounds a lot like a Rihanna track; not her best, not her worst. There are some nice parts of the song, but it's not my fave on first listen.

12. Maybe You're Right - Another break up song with another good vocal on it, a military drum beat and a piano melody thrown in for good measure. Not quite as single worthy as Drive, but could be another ballad release from Bangerz.

13. Someone Else - Sexy!! This song immediately reminded me of What's My Name when it first started, but there's an underlying tension with some club synths and a jittery beat break in before the one minute mark. Pretty cool track that I can see getting a great remix for the clubs.

THE REST OF THE SONGS ONLY APPEAR ON THE DELUXE VERSION OF BANGERZ.

14. Rooting For My Baby - OH! Now this surprised me. This could easily be a Norah Jones/Colbie Caillat/Carly Simon song. Smooth, sexy, easy listening part of the album I guess. I love it actually. I almost think this is the most unexpected and surprising song on the album, just for the simple sexiness of it. Pharrell is the producer, and I guess if anyone can do smooth and sexy, it's that little cutie pie.  Def a highlight.

15. On My Own - No, Miley is not doing Les Miz!! Ha. Now Pharrell is giving it a groove and a snarl. On My Own is a declaration of independence with a disco beat. Reminds me of Ring My Bell, another Deluxe Version song produced-Pharrell  on Madonna's Hard Candy album. That should have been a single, y'all! Pretty great diva song.

16. Hands In The Air (feat. Ludacris) - Ending on a darker note, bass synth and creepy bleeps and blurbs set the tone for the album closer. The song itself isn't about anything creepy, but about being with someone Miley apparently likes in a club. I like it. It's got a pretty cool vibe. I don't know if this is how to end this particular record, but it's a good track.

No comments:

Post a Comment