Sunday, October 20, 2013

FLASHBACK: MY MUSIC IN 1985: OCTOBER 20, 1985

I stopped doing these posts when I took a break from my blog back in February, but fortunately my 1985 self kept right on going with his (my) own personal Top 30 list of songs that made my tiny(er) ass shake. Here we are on October 20, 1985, which was also a Sunday. Prince and his proteges (Morris Day, Sheila E, The Family) are cramming into the top 30 like there's no tomorrow.....and for some of them there kind of wasn't. Tears for Fears and Thompson Twins made a giant leap into the top 5. How 80s is that? Not one but TWO instrumentals, though very different in tone, were wedged in there: the smooth jazzy Theme from St. Elmo's Fire and the hard hitting synths of Miami Vice Theme. And yes, that IS Eddie Murphy at #24. Go figure. Lots of familiar 80s names make the list, Aretha Franklin appears twice, as do Eurythmics, and THE VOICE tops it off. Okay, grab a Tab cola, put on your leg warmers and dive into some of the links I put on the songs below. How cute was Corey Hart, y'all!!?? Enjoy, nerds!!

30. You Are My Lady - Freddie Jackson
29. Lover Come Back To Me - Dead or Alive
28. Pop Life - Prince & The Revolution
27. And We Danced - The Hooters
26. Boy In the Box - Corey Hart
25. Dress You Up - Madonna
24. Party All the Time - Eddie Murphy
23. Who's Zoomin' Who - Aretha Franklin
22. Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves - Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin
21. Screams of Passion - The Family
20. One of the Living - Tina Turner
19. A Love Bizarre - Sheila E. ft. Prince
18. America - Prince & The Revolution
17. Separate Lives - Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin
16. Broken Wings - Mr. Mister
15. Oh Sheila - Ready for the World
14. Oak Tree - Morris Day
13. Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire - David Foster
12. Sister Fate - Sheila E.
11. There Must Be An Angel (Playing with My Heart) - Eurythmics
10. I Wonder If I Take You Home - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
09. You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey
08. Never - Heart
07. Be Near Me - ABC
06. Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer
05. Lay Your Hands On Me - Thompson Twins
04. I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down - Paul Young
03. We Built This City - Starship
02. Head Over Heals - Tears for Fears
01. Saving All My Love For You - Whitney Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment