Tuesday, December 11, 2012

REVIEW: LES MISÉRABLES

OMG! I was the luckiest boy in the world last night because my wonderful husband was able to get us two passes to the world premiere of Les Misérables (Les Miz) at the Ziegfeld and its after-party!!! Thrills!!! Look at me. I'm famous!!! First of all, I L-O-V-E seeing movies at the Ziegfeld theatre. It's just so New York, ya know? The experience started with a few words from director Tom Hooper and then he introduced the cast in attendance: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baron Cohen, Samantha Barks, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit, Daniel Huttlestone and Isabelle Allen. Then the lights dimmed and the film began. I won't ruin too much of the film for you, but the opening shot alone was breathtaking. Hugh Jackman, as long suffering Jean Valjean, looking ragged and angry, holds your attention with his amazing presence from the very get-go. His singing is great and he is über-committed in his intention. I will admit it was nice once they cleaned him up and let him be hot Hugh that we all know and love. That's just the slut in me I guess. Russell Crowe's Javert is well acted if not well sung, but after awhile (and with the exception of Stars) you sort of settle into his delivery. Girlfriend is giving you intensity too. I thought that mole was gonna pop right off his face a couple of times. Things really get real when Anne Hathaway finally hits the screen as Fantine. Her one-shot take on I Dreamed a Dream, lying in filth after being raped, giving up hope right in front of your eyes, is so moving and so stunning she is sure to have Oscar gold this year. It is one of the most special moments in movie musicals ever. We soon are transported to the inn run by Thenardiér and his wife played by hilariously Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter. They really make the roles their own and add a little improv to stir up the movie magic. Helena Bonham Carter was basically born to play this type of weird, bawdy character, so it's no surprise she nails it. There we meet young Cossette, played by Isabelle Allen, singing Castle on a Cloud. She is every bit the angel you need her to be; all giant eyes and a halo of blond locks. Adorable! I must say though, the real heart of the movie is when the perfection-in-a-bonnett Amanda Seyfried starts to sing In My Life as Cosette, then is joined by Eddie Redmayne's Marius (sigh) for A Heart Full of Love with Eponine, played beautifully by Samantha Barks, who then sings the showstopper On My Own right after. It's a powerful cinematic one-two-three punch that had me covered in chills and crying like a little beyotch. I think all three of these actors could easily be nominated for various awards this season and deservedly so. Eddie Redmayne has a surprisingly strong voice and is just so dreamy it's ridiculous and, I swear to all that is gay, Samantha Barks' waist in smaller than her arm. I swear. Just wait and see for yourself. I really can't say too much else about the movie because there are little things that change from the show, but I will say that, for the most part, it's a thrilling theatrical experience and I WILL be seeing it again. It is very, very long though and there were a couple of places that I felt could have been sped through a little quicker, but all in all Les Miz is a holiday home run. The movie musical is alive and well and evolving and the direction by Tom Hooper is quite an achievement IMHO. So get ready in a couple of weeks and go see Les Miz. You know, with the unwashed masses. I've already seen it.

1 comment: