Sunday, December 15, 2013

FLASHBACK: MY MUSIC IN 1985: DECEMBER 15th

Well, it's been a fun journey back in time this year, but this is the last post of my 1985 series. Why, you ask? Because I am at the end of my discovered archive of charts that I made back when I was ** years old. Yes, this is the end of an era. For me. You probably didn't even know I was doing this. HA! Anyhoozers, December 15th had some debuts from one of the sweetest jazz/pop singers in history, a rock group and Stevie Wonder. Stevie Nicks shot up the charts this week with Talk To Me and Sheila E. held fast to the top spot. It's been such a weird ride going back over these charts almost 30 years after I made them. What a joy to see what my mind worked like then and how much I loved pop music as a kid. Most of these artists still have a place on my various playlists from time to time as they helped form who I was then and who I am now. Madonna, Prince, Tina Turner, Sade; all 80s icons for sure, but not just the 80s. So many artists from the 80s made a huge mark on the pop landscape because, unlike most decades, pop music in the 80s was not confined to one specific sound. Hip Hop was coming into its own, dance music, jazz, rock and roll, doo-wop, folk,  and even big band music charted on the Hot 100 and Billboard 200 Albums Chart in the 1980s. Hopefully we'll get back to that time in music when more people weren't afraid to sound different and look different and take even bigger risks. 1985 was great year in music. Enjoy! OH, and just to recap, all the #1 song this year were: Like a Virgin (Madonna), I Would Die 4 U (Prince & The Revolution), Neutron Dance (Pointer Sisters), California Girls (David Lee Roth), Material Girl (Madonna), Crazy For You (Madonna), Everything She Wants (Wham!), Angel (Madonna), A View To A Kill (Duran Duran), Raspberry Beret (Prince & The Revolution), You Give Good Love (Whitney Houston), You Spin Me Round (Dead or Alive), Man In Motion (John Parr), Dress You Up (Madonna), Saving All My Love For You (Whitney Houston), Lay Your Hands on Me (Thompson Twins), Never (Heart), Sister Fate (Sheila E.) So there it was, 1985.
30. Tonight She Comes - The Cars
29. Sweetest Taboo - Sade

28. Go Home - Stevie Wonder 
27. When The Going Gets Tough - Billy Ocean
26. Everybody Dance - Tamara & The Scene
25. Digital Display - Ready For The World
24. Everything Must Change - Paul Young
23. Tears Are Falling - KISS
22. Everything In My Heart - Corey Hart
21. How Will I Know - Whitney Houston
20. It's Only Love - Bryan Adams and Tina Turner
19. Talk to Me - Stevie Nicks
18. Love Is The Seventh Wave - Sting
17. That's What Friends Are For - Dionne and Friends
16. Holly Rock - Sheila E.
15. Sidewalk Talk - Jellybean
14. Conga - Miami Sound Machine
13. Small Town - John Cougar Mellencamp
12. Do It For Love - Sheena Easton
11. I'm Your Man - Wham!
10. Perfect Way - Scritti Politti
09. Sleeping Bag - ZZ Top
08. Emergency - Kool & The Gang
07. Election Day - Arcadia
06. Walk of Life - Dire Straits
05. Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds

04. America - Prince & The Revolution
03. Love Bizarre - Sheila E. and Prince
02. Say You Say Me - Lionel Richie
01. Sister Fate - Sheila E.

No comments:

Post a Comment