Friday, April 11, 2014

MADONNA FRIDAY: GAMBLER

"You can't stop me now, 'cuz I'm right and I'm making advances. Let me show you how. Tonight I'll be taking my chances on you." The oft forgotten OTHER song from the Vision Quest Soundtrack, Gambler was the second single released in the UK  from that film, which featured Madonna as a nightclub singer, after Crazy for You. The song was never released as a single in the US at the request of Madonna's record label, Sire, so it wouldn't compete the the Like A Virgin singles already flooding the market. Crazy For You had already hit #1 from the soundtrack for its label, Geffen, and Sire did not want a repeat in the US. And that, my friends, is how the music industry works. The video, however, was released to MTV to promote the film and Madonna performed it on her Virgin Tour, which is the video I included in this post. The song was written by Madonna all by herself and produced by John "Jellybean" Benitez, her frequent collaborator and sometimes boyfriend at that time. The song was released in other countries and was a top 10 hit in the UK (#4), Australia (#10), Ireland and Italy (#3) and other territories.  I know I listened to the shiz out of this song on my little cassette player, so it was released in MY childhood bedroom/nightclub. Anyway, here is a forgotten classic by the one and only Madonna, Gambler. Enjoy your Madonna Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment