Friday, October 5, 2012

MADONNA FRIDAY: EXPRESS YOURSELF

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with the most empowering, energetic, balls-to-the-wall Madonna song of all time, Express Yourself. Has there ever been a better workout song? I think not. Express Yourself was a very pivotal song in my life. I was a young boy in  a small town trying to fit in AND still be myself. I was gay, but not ready to tell friends yet (it would be about a year-and-a-half before I was ready), but this song was one that kept me going. The sheer power of the music and the lyrics were a revelation and Madonna was arguably at the height of her fame around this time. Of course, she is STILL the most famous woman in the world, but this was right when she was about to peak, pop culture-wise. AND THE VIDEO!!! GEEZ!!!! Express Yourself opened the MTV VMAs this year and it would open her Blond Ambition Tour in 1990. So, for my birthday, which falls on Madonna Friday this year, I would like you to listen carefully to the lyrics of this song and make it your own today. If you don't, you'll probably get a sassy side-eye from me next time we cross paths. Here it is, girl. I am including the original, stunning  video AND the LIVE MTV VMA performance for your viewing pleasure. TA-DAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment