Thursday, June 7, 2012

SOUNDTRACK DAY!!

I thought I'd give you a glimpse into my world by listing my top 5 favorite soundtracks of all time. These are based solely on the merits of how much I personally enjoyed them, so if you don't agree that's okay. You're 100% wrong, but that's okay. ha. Anyway, just a little trip down memory lane for me and hopefully for you! Some of my fondest memories are attached to these movies and their music. Here we go. Oh, and yes, they're all from the 70s an 80s. DUH!

5. Saturday Night Fever - I mean, HELLO! This album is a freakin' masterpiece and defines an entire decade of music. The incomparable Bee Gees put together a soundtrack that perfectly captured the sexy, gritty disco era and produced unforgettable songs in the process. The title track, More Than a Woman, If I Can't Have You, How Deep is Your Love are all classics. It doesn't even matter that I can only understand about five words of Night Fever, it's still one of my favorite songs of all time. Watch the video for the song and try not to shake that ass!


4. 9 1/2 Weeks - Arguably the sexiest movie of the 80s, especially since it was basically one long sex scene, 9 1/2 Weeks also had an amazing soundtrack that went along with it!! Though not has hugely successful as other 80s soundtracks, it did spawn the hit by Duran Duran member John Taylor, I Do What I Do. But more importantly, the whole album was great! Contributions by Eurythmics, Devo, Corey Hart (Eurasian Eyes, my fave), Dalbello and Luba all unimaginably great, and of course the gem of them all, You Can Leave Your Hat On by Joe Cocker which Kim Basinger does her strip tease to. Hot!! Watch the NSFW VIDEO below and check out this album if you never have.


3. Footloose - DANCE!!! Footloose was undeniably a phenomenon when it came out. Everybody had seen it and everybody had the soundtrack. Hit after hit after hit, including two #1 song, Footloose and Let's Hear It For The Boy, flooded the radio for months. Of course, every song was a hit to me, especially Bonnie Tyler's Holding Out for a Hero and Dancing in the Sheets by Shalamar. You all know a song from Footloose. Here is the INCREDIBLY 80s video for Holding Out for a Hero for you to enjoy/laugh at. But the song is amazy!!


2. Flashdance - Another film that completely changed the way I thought about music and movies. Flashdance was like watching a really long music video, and I LOVED it. Still obsessed with Jennifer Beales to this day, as a matter of fact. From the smash, Academy Award winning title track by Irene Cara to the #1 hit Maniac, Flashdance's sountrack was chock full of energy and electronic goodness. Find a better group of songs than Manhunt, Imagination and Romeo. I dare you. Here is the video for Flashdance...What a Feelin' by Irene Cara. Amazing.


1. Purple Rain - If you don't like Purple Rain, you don't like MUSIC!! Prince & the Revolution let loose a masterpiece that was, is and always will be my favorite movie sountrack of all time. The album stayed at #1 for 24 weeks and spawned the moster hits When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, the title track, Take Me With U and the glorious I Would Die 4 U. Every song is amazing and complex and done in only a way Prince can do. It won an Academy Award for Best Original Song Score. It's regarded as one of the best albums of all time. Here is the final scene from Purple Rain with I Would Die 4 U & Baby, I'm a Star. Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. Enjoy.

Prince - I would die 4 U/ Baby I'm a Star from mark Daley on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment