Thursday, May 19, 2011

SONG-BY-SONG REVIEW OF LADY GAGA'S BORN THIS WAY

So just because I'm not buying it from iTunes until Tuesday (and you should too!) doesn't mean that if I have a chance to listen to and review Lady Gaga's new album I shouldn't do it. So there. I told you, didn't I? If you haven't enjoyed the tracks released already (and I have) fret not, there are PLENTY of things to make you happy here. Incredibly happy in fact. You might even feel very different about those songs hearing them in the context of this record. Gaga doesn't abandon those who loved her for a reason. Don't worry. Here is my track-by-track review of Born This Way by Lady Gaga.

1. Marry The Night - leading off the album is the song that some of us heard through Lady Gaga's Farmville association. Marry the Night starts off with organs, a la Phantom of the Opera, but the electroshock kicks in the first minute and pounds us through to the end. Is there a twinge of Like a Prayer in there? Sure. Is it as blatant as some people will say it is? Hell no. It's its own monster completely. Rough and loud. Great opener.

2.Born This Way - you all already know this song. It's spent most of 2011 on the top of the charts, so I don't think we need to go through this, do we?

3.Government Hooker - first of all, I love this title!! Ha. Starting us off with a some faux opera "Gaga"s, Government Hooker bleeps and jerks to life with a sick electro beat that Depeche Mode would have killed for. "I can be good..." starts us off on a list of things that Gaga can be for you. "As long as I'm your hooker..." is repeated to the object of the song over and over. Gaga sounds purely evil in the sexiest possible way on this one. Truly a standout on the album, Government Hooker is begging for a dancefloor. "Put your hands on me, John F. Kennedy..." Hot.

4.Judas- of course, this song's been on this blog several times. Again, no need to retread. I love it. Some hate it. I'm right. They're wrong.

5.Americano- Gaga brings back the Latin vibe for this track that she explored on Alejandro. Complete with a "lalalalalalala" hook, Americano seems to be at once about gay marriage and immigration law, perhaps about the people being deported because of the unfair laws against gay marriage in this country. A lot of words in Spanish (I don't speak the language), not as good as Alejandro IMHO, but still catchy as hell.

6.Hair- much in the same vein as Edge of Glory (see 17), Hair is an 80s throwback anthem that uses Gaga's hair as a symbol of her freedom and individuality. I'll admit that when I first heard this track I was unsure, but with repeated listening and put in context of the album, it's got a pretty solid groove. Again, loud and brassy is what Gaga does and this is that in spades. Even makes me think of an updated song from the musical Hair. If they remake the movie, hey....

7.Scheiße- "I don't speak German but I can if you like..." Okay. I would like a lot. And then she does. This German word translates literally to "shit". The song is anything but. Super hot dance song. Great beat, a million hooks in one song. Another club sure thing. I really hope Gaga makes a video for this song, because I would love to see what she does with this visually. The voice is in full diva mode in the bridge. Love love love this track.

8.Bloody Mary- there are some religious overtones thrown in to this song, but much like Judas, it's no offense. "Dance with my hands above my head like Jesus said." I don't think he ever said that, so she is clearly taking artistic license. Calm down. This song reminds me of Duran Duran songs from Seven and the Ragged Tiger. It's new wave and romantic, slow and dark. It's a slow moment in the album right when we need it. It's an intense disc, y'all! This is a nice song. Heavy drum break the middle with a Gregorian like "Gaga" chant that I die for.

9.Black Jesus † Amen Fashion- another dark track, nicely place in the album. Very gothic sounding. Gaga talks about her early days in the New York scene, going for it with all her guts and glory. "I am..on the runway. Dressed in his best. I am fashion...on the runway. Work it, Black Jesus." She is Black Jesus!!! Who isn't. Ha. Dramatics are her thing afterall. This song is freakin' sexy and a sort of goth Vogue, if you will. All glitz and sweat. It's Gaga.

10.Bad Kids- a rebel song. Crunching guitars start off with some "freedom" lyrics, which run throughout the album. This is a rock and roller with a hard, grungy undertone rocking along to a dance beat. The chorus is a sweet-sounding break with that leads to one of the catchiest, 80s-like choruses on the record. Not really single material, but a great car driving jam.

11.Fashion of His Love- (available on the special edition only) lest we forget, Gaga loves her some fashion. She has even been honored for her fashion by the CFDA after all. Talking about insecurities she's had, but how a love has given her confidence. "I was made for lovin' him. Fashion of his love" are some samle lyrics. You see where she's going with this. Sweet electro track. All love and stars and unicorns here. Oh, and of course you can shake your ass to it.


12.Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)- speaking of unicorns... another title to die for. What? Who names a song this? Gaga, that's who. Killer chorus leads of us to a rhythmic beat and anthemic lyrics, Highway Unicorn is all power chords and fist in the air music. Gaga finds herself on a "road to love" and is picking up as many as she can with the dirty electro-trash sound and wails of the power of love. Celine would love to get her hands on this one. Gaga's voice is so awesome it made me love a song called Highway Unicorn (Road to Love).


13.Heavy Metal Lover- sleazy, dirty sounds are permiating this song. "I want your whiskey mouth all over my blond south.." OH MY!! Tell us what you really want, slut!! This song is not metal at all, but it's something much more satisfying to me: sexy electronic dance fever. You can hear the old Fame Monster in here, especially it's track Monster I think. Sort of an updated version of I Feel Love by Donna Summer perhaps. That's all good, by the way. Definitely a sexy-time song.

14.Electric Chapel- another song Gaga released on her Farmville venture, GagaVille, Electric Chapel is so dark it's light. Does that make sense? No. Oh well. Riffs and bells and chimes rumble along in the back as a straight up dance groove gets the songs message of lust and dance across. Eurythmics come to mind in the sleepy vocal and heavy synth production. Again, like most of the songs on here, the hooks are plentiful beyond belief. "If you want me, meet me at Electric Chapel". Duh!


15.The Queen- Gaga does 60s girl group? Kinda. There are hints of Leader of the Pack and such in here, but the way Gaga does it. Girl power is the theme here. The repeated expression of confidence and self-respect are running through this track. Not a single-worthy song, but it shows a new side of Gaga that shows a musicality she's not tried before. It's her True Blue, if you will. No, it doesn't sound like it, douche. It's just a point of comparison. Love you.


16.You and I- this song hasn't exactly been kept a secret. She performed in on her Monster Ball tour and even on Oprah, but we finally get it in all it's produced, studio glory and it's a doozey! Much like Speechless on Fame Monster, You and I recalls the old honky-tonk 70s efforts of Elton John, Queen or Aerosmith, but Gaga goes all out and blows it away here. The voice is simply amazing in this song, rockin' out with the best of 'em. Sounds like Def Leppard singing backup, but I think we would know if it was. The song ends with a repeated hook worthy of Hey Jude. Gaga rules it on this one.


17.Edge of Glory- after hearing the entire album, I can't imagine a better way to end it than with this anthem. Written for her grandfather after he died, this song is about love, living life to it's best and going for it in general. Inspiration is the key word and she is living it to the hilt. You've all heard this one. It debuted at #3 on the Hot 100 this week, so educate yourself if you haven't.


There you have it. Needless to say, I'm in love with the record already. I had my doubts and fears that Gaga wouldn't live up to the hype on her sophmore effort, but those doubts are as dead as doornail now. Born This Way is a revelation in every way. Don't be afraid to love it. It's as good as you'd hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment